INTERNATIONAL EDUCATION COORDINATOR, DRAYTON VALLEY
STRATEGIC INTEGRATION and STAKEHOLDER RELATIONS
Reporting to the Manager, NorQuest International – International Education Coordinator’s primary role is to provide support to and advocate for international students and their unique needs at the Drayton Valley campus of NorQuest College. The International Education Coordinator is there to answer questions and provide guidance, information, and options to help international students across their student lifecycle make informed decisions on their academic future and career goals as it relates to being an international student in Canada, including (but not limited to), providing support on cultural and academic transitions, academic performance, and referrals to appropriate services (internal and external to the College). This position will have an important role in fostering student success and retention through involvement in developing and delivering international student supports, activities and initiatives, development of resources to meet student’s needs, etc. It will be the central touch point for Business Administration students at the Drayton Valley Campus of NorQuest College, conveying consistent, accurate information and fostering a continuous relationship with the college that is standard across all programs in a culturally sensitive and timely fashion and ensures prospective and current students received personalized advising services and supports to meet their unique needs. The position will oversee the smooth operation of the Business Administration classes at the Drayton Valley campus.
- Provide specialized advising to international students through exemplary customer service throughout the student lifecycle which is above and beyond what is expected by the student.
- Assist international students through the NorQuest policies and processes from applicant to alumni.
- Advising international students and supporting them in overcoming barriers due to immigration status, cultural background, and/or adjustment issues
- Support international students with cross-cultural counselling, navigating the college in regards to financial issues, admission, adjustment, etc.
- Referring international students to services both internal and external to the college when necessary
- Monitoring student academic progress
- Advocate on behalf of international students and help solve problems related to admission, retention, and successful completion of studies
- The coordinator will help students navigate through the Business Administration Diploma program specific policies and processes.
- Planning and delivering international activities and supports throughout the year, including cultural workshops, immigration workshops, and social events
- Supporting the development and maintenance of resource material for international students
Stakeholder Liaising (Internal and External)
- Contribute to the International Strategic Plans of NorQuest College as directed by the Manager, including participating in meetings and project work
- Collaborate with the Office of the Registrar on matters related to international applicants and students
- Collaborate and liaise with other College departments to be able to create an environment of open communication between the various areas and ensure consistent and accurate information is given.
- Liaise with external agencies and service providers (government agencies, other postsecondary institutions, housing and accommodations, etc.) to access resources and information for international students
- Communicate issues related to student well-being and program delivery to the Business Administration Chair and Associate Chair as well as the Consultant, International
- Contact community support agencies to stay updated on services; offer information to applicants on community supports that will assist them in their efforts to be “ready, willing and able” to attend classes.
- Work with the Chair/Associate Chair(s) and instructors as required to ensure Business Administration program policies and processes are followed.
- Oversee smooth program delivery of the Business Administration program in Drayton Valley. Be the point person for Business Administration faculty and staff at Drayton Valley Campus.
- Act as emergency site coordinator for the Business Administration Program at Drayton Valley.
- Troubleshoot issues with classroom technology and infrastructure.
- Contact site administrator to deal with facilities issues (maintenance.
- Completion of a relevant Bachelor degree required
- 3 years of working within a student services and/or client-based environment, preferably in a post secondary environment, with experience in one or more of the following: student advising, client advocating, admissions/records, or recruitment
- Experience working with international populations and knowledge in: issues facing international students, intercultural communication theory and practice, international education systems, cultures, and student development.
- Exceptional customer service and interpersonal skills
- Established problem solving and critical thinking skills, and ability to anticipate problems or difficulties combined with suggestions of appropriate measures or solutions
- A positive and professional attitude and the ability to work both independently and as a team member is essential
- Ability to work under pressure with a demanding workload and ability to cope with stressful situations
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft work be an asset
- Fluency in a second language would be an asset
SALARY: $47,332 -$65,518; commensurate with education and experience. This position also includes immediate participation in our comprehensive pension and benefits plan.
COMPETITION NUMBER: AT9938-05-18
CLOSING DATE: May 31, 2018
TO APPLY: If you meet the requirements of this position and wish to apply, please continue with this online process by uploading your resume and cover letter combined as one document
NOTE: Notification of receipt will be sent only to online applicants.
NorQuest College helps students unlock their potential and realize their dreams. We are Challenge Positive and embrace every situation as an opportunity. As the Edmonton region’s community college, we play an integral role in Alberta’s education system. NorQuest College offers a vibrant, inclusive, diverse, and student-centred learning environment that transforms lives and strengthens communities. We are nationally recognized leaders in health, community studies, and business post-secondary career programs, as well as foundational, intercultural, and language training. We are proud to offer our employees meaningful work, competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits program, and a commitment to a positive work/life balance. This is an exciting time to be a part of NorQuest College. Take a step forward with us. Together, we can help build and sustain a strong province for future generations.